Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Running and Me

I became a runner on May 15, 2004, one month to the day after I quit smoking. My first run was 1.5 miles on hot asphalt in Stone Harbor, NJ (I didn't know about beach running then). Needless to say it left me breathless, but determined for my well-being to figure this running thing out. My second run was in laps around in my neighborhood's Rittenhouse Square Park. On my way out the door, my neighbor Joy offered me her walkman. As it did in my aerobics and stair climbing days, music made running come alive. When I came home, Joy asked if I wanted to run together sometime, for motivation. I told her I was brand new at this, and wasn't sure if I would be too slow of a running partner, but that I'd give it a try. I was delighted when it turned out that we hadn't made one of those plans to do something that never comes to light. After a third run with my very experienced younger runner-sister, Cynthia (who kicked my butt running 2 miles of hills around our old neighborhood) Joy and I set out a few days later to run on the new bike path at the end of our street across the CSX train tracks. It led to a rudimentary trail along the Schuylkill River with some breathtaking new views, and a running partnership and friendship that I hope will be for life.

"There's only you to prove yourself to."

That summer, Joy and I committed every bit of free time to runs along the bike path to Kelly Drive. We wore cotton shirts and sweated in the summer heat, but didn't seem to care. We built up mileage slowly, and then ran a breakthrough run of 7 miles one Friday night when we were so immersed in telling stories, we forgot we were running at all. I ran solo a lot, too. Running became an outlet for my emotions on the pavement. After about 100 miles in my old trail shoes, I bought my first pair of real running shoes and ran my first 5K in September. "Blue Sky Mind" was what I wrote in my running log that day. I was so proud of what I had endured to get to that starting line. It was also the first time I ever timed myself in a run, and was surprised that without trying, with just adrenaline and the sound of footfalls around me, I ran 8:44 minute miles. Best of all, I celebrated with Joy, who had run her first 1/2 marathon, and some other friends at brunch and rode my first race high all that day.




Through the darkening winter months, I joined a running club, and discovered the Wissahickon trail, which became the site of my long weekend runs. My friend Jennifer says, and I believe, that only the truth is spoken in the Wissahickon - so sacred a place it is. I also experienced the wondrous feeling of running in new places, such as Smith Cove in Seattle, and Redondo Beach, California. New Year's Eve 2005, me, Joy and some friends took a train to NYC to run the Midnight Run in Central Park, aglow with fireworks and cheering fans on the 4 mile stretch.



My first distance run, The Broad Street Run 10-miler in May 2005, was not so much of a success, but it taught me some important lessons about fueling, pacing, and what it feels like to hit a wall and take the "death march". This was humbling, and gave me the reverence I have for distance running today.

The Spring of 2005 I was also diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I found out that smoking may have actually masked my symptoms for a long time. At that time, I didn't know the effects it would have on my life or my running, but I decided I was going to keep going no matter how it slowed me down. I was going to beat this disease at its own game somehow by listening to my body. Later that summer, I conquered my first half marathon with the support of my new boyfriend and "coach", Roy. His support has kept me running through all my big races and challenges in 2006, and now my marathon training, with 4 days left and counting...




No comments: